Thursday, January 27, 2011

Little Drummer Girl (Engelska)

This was the absolute FIRST song I ever recorded that was going to be released in some way.

I can't even remember exactly when it was? Maybe 1996?

If u can imagine young AK in Tims and jeans walking down those mean and dirty New York streets diddy-boppin to the Reasonable Doubt album or maybe Ray's Purple Tape. I was so excited about picking a Christmas song to record for an album called"The 12 Soulful Nights of Christmas"that JD and my then label, Columbia Records were putting together.

I remember sitting at my piano, vibing on the freshest way I could play one of my favorite songs"Little Drummer Boy"which of course had to be renamed"The Little Drummer Girl";-)

I was in my one bedroom apartment at the piano in the corner of the living room, just steps away from my"bedroom"and I played these jazzy style chords since I was starting to really get into jazz structures.

Anyway I stayed up late into the night to come up with the ultimate"Flip."

Then I went into the Studio with Rodney Jerkins and we produced the record together. I knew I wanted those Al Green style drums bangin behind it. In fact, I knew exactly what I wanted, and that was the beginning of me learning to become a producer.

I have the best memory of this song.

It was one of my"firsts"and now as I approach another First - experiencing the first Christmas with our Son. I feel like it's only right to share this song with you.

Freshly remastered and ready for your holiday spirit: Little Drummer Girl!

Sending you massive love and blessings during this time right into the most spectacular New Year you've ever known!

With love and gratitude,

Alicia


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment